Thursday, May 28, 2009

Doh! Medalling wine judges




Back in early April I posted about an enjoyable lunch at Wallaroo Wines during the wine harvest festival.

At the time I noted, with my usual spooky prescience, “a 2006 Wallaroo shiraz was the drink of the moment. Good dark fruit but not a great deal of length didn’t stop me from having a second glass,” and the afternoon couldn’t have been improved, “except maybe if I would’ve gone for the cab sav instead...”

A small advert in today's Crimes Food & Wine magazine announced that at the recent Decanter World Wine Awards, the very same 2006 Wallaroo shiraz won a silver medal that sees it keeping company with bigger, more familiar labels, including Cape Mentelle, Pipers Brook, Howard Park and Mount Pleasant. The judging committee was divided into regional panels and included Steven Spurrier, Huon (Captain to his mates) Hooke, Tom Stevenson and Andrew Jefford to name but a few.

Clearly, my invitation as a guest panelist was lost in the post and, putting aside my deficiencies as a wine judge, congratulations go to the team at Wallaroo Wines.




Tags:
, , , .

No comments: